"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." -- Ephesians 3:14-21 (ESV)





Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Snap Movie Reviews

I managed to see/watch 3 movies while on vacation.

In the theater, I saw Green Lantern. I was worried because it got mediocre reviews, so I lowered my expectations going in. First, I have to say that Alamo Drafthouse rocks. We need one in our location. Best. Movie. Theater. Ever. I find it mildly hilarious that there's only one outside of Texas and that one is in Winchester, VA. Random.

Anyway, Green Lantern - I went with my Dad. We both liked it. It's a set-up movie. If you go in knowing that, then I think you'll like it. It sets up the subsequent sequels well, imho. 3.5 stars out of 5.

On DVD, I watched two movies:

1. Secretariat - it's not the best quality movie. It was weirdly filmed - part regular film and part hi-def and the editing couldn't hide the switch back and forth. However, the story is remarkable. How is it that even when you know how the story ends, you still get tense? I give it 4 stars mostly because of the story itself and because the horse racing parts are great.

And in honor of that amazing horse, here's his Belmont Stakes record-breaking race:



2. The King's Speech - Wow. I've long wondered how horrible it must have been to grow up a royal child. To live with the pressure of knowing you are not your own person, to be in the public spotlight all the time, no sense of normal. There's a small window into that in this wonderful movie. Colin Firth was brilliant and deserving of his Best Actor win. Geoffrey Rush was equally brilliant as Lionel. I love the movie, everything about it. 5 stars.

And in honor of King George VI, here's the now famous speech:

1 comment:

Julie said...

Secretariat wasn't as good as Seabiscuit, but I still enjoyed it. I was sitting on the edge of my seat during the racing scenes, even though I knew Secretariat was going to win :)Glad to know I'm not the only one who tensed up.

I agree 100% with your review of The King's Speech. I felt so bad for George VI whenever he had to deliver speeches. Public speaking is frightening enough when you don't suffer from a speech impediment, so I can't imagine what that poor guy had to go through.