"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." -- Ephesians 3:14-21 (ESV)





Friday, May 18, 2012

Reading Room Reviews: The End of the Affair and Insurgent

I finished two more books yesterday. Thanks to my weekend epiphany about listening to audio books while putting on my make-up (instead of listening to TV, which is pointless), I am cranking through audio books much faster.

I also started reading on my Kindle while blow drying my hair, since most of the time I'm hunched over with the diffuser.

Multi-tasking at its best.

So I finished Insurgent by Veronica Roth in my Kindle yesterday morning. Here's my short review:
Book two in the Divergent trilogy, this middle book does its job well. It moves the story along as a pretty fast pace, increases the tension and action, and develops some of the secondary characters further.

Now I have to wait more than a year for the final book in the trilogy that is definitely going to give The Hunger Games a run for its money in the long run. It is equally as good, equally as thought-provoking about the human condition, the role of structured government versus personal liberty, and the instinctual need for independence and survival.
4 out of 5 stars.

I got home from work with only 5 minutes of listening left to finish The End of the Affair by Graham Greene and narrated by Colin Firth. Hello, Darcy! This is an Audible.com exclusive - I don't think you can find it at your library or other bookstore (although Amazon.com is partnered with Audible.)

TEofA is a modern classic that has been on my must read list for years. When I saw that Firth was narrating it for Audible, I moved it to the top of the queue immediately. I am so glad that I did. Here's my super short review:
Sublime. I am sure Firth's wonderful narration contributed to my love of this book. it's a transcendent tale of love and hate, fidelity and adultery, faith and folly, life and death. It is almost unbearably sad and yet there is redemption that lifts it just enough. This book is a new favorite.
5 stars. It is wonderful and made moreso by Firth's fantastic first person narration.

So now I'm currently listening to Crossed by Allie Condie, which is the 2nd in her Matched trilogy. And I'm reading Gospel Wakefulness by Jared Wilson on my Kindle.

No comments: