"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." -- Ephesians 3:14-21 (ESV)





Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Reading Room and Bube Tube Stuff

I managed to get another audio book completed in record time. Crossed, book two in the Matched trilogy, is a good middle of the story book. It moves the plot along rather well and further develops the main characters. That each character was narrated by separate narrators made it more effective as a listen. I liked it and I look forward to the final book when it comes out in the fall.

Interestingly, after I posted my short review on GoodReads.com, I found that most of the readers there HATED it. 3 stars out of 5.

I'm now listening to The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey. It is narrated by Davina Porter, who is one of my favorite audio book narrators. This is a reboot of Jane Eyre, which I have never read. I have seen one of the movies, though, so I am familiar with the general story of Jane Eyre. This seems pretty faithful to the spirit of that classic - Gemma Hardy is still in her boarding school years so there's a long way to go to get to the Rochester character/story. I am enjoying it so far.

On the Kindle, I also started Wool by Hugh Howey. Wool was originally just a short story, but was popular and the author wrote more episodes.I have the omnibus version, which includes all of the short stories in one package. I finished the first story this morning and I can see why there are more. It's dystopian and mysterious. I wish I could read more - I really want to know where this one goes.

On the TV, we watched the final episode of this season of Masterpiece Theater's Sherlock. We watched the first season last year and were surprised at how much we loved it. I am so disppointed that they only do 3 episodes at a time. It's smart, quick, funny, good TV. The last episode of this season blew me away. Such a great show. If you haven't seen it, you must. The first season is available for streaming on Netflix. And for a short time now, you can watch this season at the PBS website.

No comments: