"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge —that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." -- Ephesians 3:14-21 (ESV)





Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Books and TV

Books: I have read/listened to several books in the past few months, but have not shared anything about them here. I thought that I would since there are a couple that I think are worth mentioning.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay - this is a French novel that was translated into English (well, I might add). I listened to the audio book, which was narrated very well. While the story was slightly predictable, I found it incredibly compelling. The characters were complete - some likeable, some not, some sympathetic, some not. I found the history both fascinating and horrifying. The Holocaust has been an obsession since I was a child and just when I think I know most of the details, I learn something new. 4 stars.

Wings of Fire by Charles Todd - this book took me two months to finish on my Kindle. It wasn't because it's a terrible book. On the contrary, I thoroughly enjoyed this WWI era mystery. I just don't get much time to read read. This is why I listen read. This is book 2 of the Ian Rutledge series by Todd. I plan to read all of the rest (I think they are up to book 10? They are a mother-son writing team). 4 stars.

The Drop by Michael Connelly - I am a huge fan of Connelly and especially of his recurring homicide detective, Harry Bosch. This is book 17 of the Bosch series. The last couple I found a little disappointing, but this one was old school Harry. And I was especially happy that Len Cariou narrated the audio book - he is Harry for me. If you're squeamish, this may not be for you. It's a classic police procedural that involves very disturbing mature content. 4 stars.

The Rose Garden and The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley - I listened to The Winter Sea and "kindled" The Rose Garden. Both are light, romantic, historical fiction reads with elements of time travel. I enjoyed The Winter Sea so much that I immediately got The Rose Garden. If you like quick reads of this genre, you should enjoy both of these books. 5 stars each.

TV: After months of not watching much on TV because I've been too busy doing other things and trying to read more, I have moved back into some TV viewing. Most that I'm watching is either on the DVR or streamed via Netflix or Amazon Instant Prime.

Once Upon a Time - this is one of the two currently airing TV shows that I have kept on top of each week. I like it a lot. Some of the stuff is silly, but I like how they're telling some of the classic fairy tales. My favorite is the Jiminy Cricket episode so far.

Downton Abbey - I'm a latecomer to this great Masterpiece Theater show on PBS. The week season 2 was due to start I decided to finally get around to watching season 1, which I was able to stream via Netflix. Love. It. I love everything about it.

North & South - This BBC production of Elizabeth Gaskell's story is wonderful. I streamed this via Netflix as well over the weekend. If you ask me, I believe Mr. Thornton's proposal surpasses the emotional intensity of Mr. Darcy's. I present, you decide.



I swoon. Seriously. And they both get rejected! All I need is for Hugh Jackman to play one of these roles and I'm done in.

We all know Colin Firth. So meet Richard Armitage. He's playing Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit movie currently filming and set for release in December. Can a dwarf be hot?


But I digress.

I have the DVD of the movie adaptation of Sarah's Key, which I hope to watch soon. I also plan to watch some more old Masterpiece Theater things via Netflix.

And there we are, mostly caught up with the trivial in life today.

No comments: